Debt Collector Calls Grieving Widow 50 Times a Day: Have you been harassed by a debt collector? Debt collectors are required to abide by strict rules under both Florida Law and Federal Law. Those rules are designed to protect both the consumer and the integrity of the American credit system.
Take a look at the situation in the story below:
“Bank of America bombarded a grieving widow with calls up to 48 times a day to remind her that her recently deceased husband had missed a mortgage payment, it is claimed.
Deborah Crabtree, from Honolulu, Hawaii, is suing the bank after she said she was called by debt collectors as often as every 15 minutes including during the wake for her husband.
According to papers filed in Hawaii, Mrs Crabtree told the bank that she would pay the debt as soon as she received her husband’s life insurance pay out, but the bank continued to threaten to foreclose on her home. The bank told the widow that it was unable to stop the calls until the debt was paid as they were computer generated.”
Debtors must know that they have certain rights as debt collectors cannot:
• telephone you an unreasonable number of times
• telephone you at any unusual time or unusual place
• disclose information about your debts to third parties
• use profane or other abusive language
• contact you after written notification that you do not want to be contacted any further
• claim to be affiliated with any governmental organization
• misrepresent the character, amount or legal status of a debt
• threaten to take any action that cannot be taken legally
• accuse you having committed a crime
• threaten or communicate false credit information
• attempt to collect until honoring your request to validate
• use deceptive methods to collect debts
• call you before 8:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m.
• Call you, but not announce who they are
• Talk to your employer about your debt
• continue collection efforts until honoring a request by you to validate the debt
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2033465/Bank-America-called-grieving-widow-48-times-day-remind-husbands-debt.html#ixzz1ZkRukIAx
If an unscrupulous debt collector is harassing you, Boyer Law Firm, PLLC can help you fight back.