Negative Effect of France’s Higher Taxes for 2013

Taxes in FranceSince the election of the new socialist French President, Francois Hollande, in May 2012, over 5,000 senior and chief executives have moved out of France into neighboring countries, according to Forbes magazine, and many are also moving to the United States.

France has always had high taxes for the “super rich,” but now it is affecting an even greater percentage of the population. International companies are moving their executives out of France, businessmen and women who make a good living are also joining this trend, and it is likely to grow in the coming months.

Although the President was elected last year, his policies, especially regarding higher taxes, are seriously questioned by many people who have assets or businesses, sometimes dating back generations, and who have worked to make them grow.

If you are currently living in France and have the skills and assets to invest in a new business, you should consider coming to the United States through an E-2 or EB-5 investor’s visa. The American dream is still alive today and could be a solution for many French citizens with the means.

Here at Boyer Law Firm, we have French-speaking paralegals and attorneys. If you would like to discuss you options, please contact us today.

Source: Forbes

Collegiate Tuition Rates for Dependants of Illegal Immigrants

A federal ruling has deemed it unconstitutional for Florida colleges and universities to charge out-of-state tuition rates for students who are legal U.S. citizens if they are dependents of parents who are in this country illegally.

This issue arose when The Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil-rights organization, filed a lawsuit on behalf of five South Florida students who are legal citizens but are dependents of their parents, who are illegal immigrants. They estimate that 8,000 to 10,000 Floridians 18-24 are in the same situation.

Florida colleges and universities charge two different tuition rates: in-state tuition and out-of-state tuition. If the student is not a Florida resident, they must pay out-of-state tuition, which can be three-times the amount of in-state tuition. Tuition rates for Florida public colleges and universities are based on the student’s legal residency in the state or, if the student is a dependent, the legal residency of the student’s parents.

Other states, such as California and Texas, already allow for these students to pay lower tuition rates.

The Florida Board of Education is currently awaiting a vote to decide whether or not to appeal the federal ruling. The Board of Education is expected to vote on this issue at their next meeting on November 6.

If you are facing this problem or any other immigration issues, please contact Boyer Law Firm. We will be happy to help you!

Source: Orlando Sentinal

Foreign investors flock to U.S.

This fiscal year the State Department expects to issue over 6,000 “investor visas” to qualifying investors.

According to Bill Wright a spokesman for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, their “goal is certainly job creation, and that’s what this program is all about,”

Under the government’s EB-5 Immigrant Investor program, foreign investors can get conditional visas that allow them and their families to live, work and attend school in the U.S. To qualify for the visa, investors must invest at least $1 million in a new or recently created business, or $500,000 for businesses in rural or high-unemployment areas.


The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services states that, in the U.S., the immigrant investor program has been responsible for at least 46,810 jobs and more than $2.3 billion in investments since its inception in 1990.

If you are an investor looking to invest in the United States, call Boyer Law Firm to discuss an option that would suit your needs.

What is an Investor Visa?

The E Investor Visa allows an individual to carry on their business in the United States if the home country has a commercial treaty with the United States conferring such eligibility. This visa must be renewed every so many years but here is no limit to how many times one can renew.

An investor must contribute to the US economy. The dollar amount of cash investment normally should exceed $50,000 depending on the type of business although Boyer Law Firm cases have been made successful in getting visas as low as $12,000.

Do my relatives get an investor visa?
Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of nationality, may receive derivative E-2 visas in order to accompany the principal alien. The spouse of the E2 holder can also apply for employment authorization.

It is important to hire an experienced lawyer when handling your investor visa package. At Boyer Law Firm we have helped many clients obtain investor visas. Please do not hesitate to contact us with your matter as we will be happy to help.

USCIS offers immigration benefits to Japanese Nationals impacted by the Tsunami disaster.

On March 11, 2011 a tsunami caused by a huge magnitude 8.9 earthquake devastated the Northeast cost of Honshu, Japan. In April 8, 2011 a second earthquake, 7.1 magnitudes, rocked northeast Japan. Responding to these recent disasters, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reminds Japanese nationals of certain U.S. immigration benefits available upon request.

Indeed, USCIS understands that a natural disaster can affect an individual’s ability to establish or maintain lawful immigration status. Thus, few temporary relief measures are available to eligible nationals of Japan. For example, the grant of an application for change or an extension of non-immigrant status for an individual currently in the United States are possible, even when the request is filed after the authorized period of admission has expired. Moreover, the USCIS expedites adjudication and approval where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship. They process of immigrant petitions for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents; and employment authorization where appropriate. USCIS also offers assistance to legal permanent residence stranded overseas without immigration documents such as Green Cards and to visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program.

If you need help with an immigration issue, you should contact Boyer Law Firm. We deal with immigration cases on a daily basis for clients from different countries such as France, Italy, Canada… and we have been able to obtain good results. We will be happy to find a way to resolve your immigration problem.

Boyer Law obtains E-2 Visa with only $12,000 invested!

We are pleased to announce that we have been able to obtain an E-2 visa out of Italy for our clients, Mr. and Mrs. D. They had decided to live in Florida and submitted a list of documents we requested to compile their investor visa’s petition.

An E-2 visa, is otherwise known as an investor visa and entitles a foreigner to reside and work in the United States. Usually, we do not take cases with such a low investment. This case was a bit particular in the sense that the client had a list of signed contracts, and intellectual property. However, the contracts have not been fulfilled as their own clients did not pay on time. This delayed the submission of the petition.

Nevertheless, we moved ahead and were able to secure the visas for them.

Shall you need help, contact a Florida business immigration lawyer, at Boyer Law Firm handling E-2 investment petitions.

DHS Launches E-Verify Self Check

Self Check gives workers fast and secure access to their employment eligibility information before they apply for jobs. In this way, workers are able to identify whether there are any inaccuracies in their Social Security Administration or DHS records before they seek employment, and submit corrections for any inaccuracies ahead of time. Self Check also assists employers by reducing the number of tentative mismatches that could otherwise result when a worker’s government records are not updated.

Finally USCIS is being pro-active and addressing one of the majors criticism that has been used to bury the E-Verify system. The criticism was that because the databases were not accurate, that the whole system should not be implemented.

With the new E-Verify Self Check, individuals can actually access their own identifiable information and to prevent misuse of the service. For example, E-Verify Self Check uses an identity assurance process to confirm that the person attempting to run a check is who he or she claims to be to avoid fraud or abuse.

Beginning today, the E-Verify Self Check service is available to users who maintain an address and are physically located in Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Mississippi, Virginia or the District of Columbia.  For further questions please contact Boyer Law Firm.
Read more at: Self-Check E-Verify

Self-Check E-Verify

USCIS To Issue Redesigned Green Card

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced recently that it has redesigned the Permanent Resident Card – commonly known as the “Green Card” – to incorporate several major new security features.

The Green Card redesign is the latest advance in USCIS’s ongoing efforts to deter immigration fraud.

State-of-the-art technology incorporated into the new card prevents counterfeiting, obstructs tampering, and facilitates quick and accurate authentication.

The enhanced features will better serve law enforcement, employers, and immigrants, all of whom look to the Green Card as definitive proof of authorization to live and work in the United States.

Among the benefits of the redesign:

  • Secure optical media will store biometrics for rapid and reliable identification of the card holder.
  • Holographic images
  • Laser engraved fingerprints
  • High resolution micro-images will make the card nearly impossible to reproduce until a few years later.
  • Tighter integration of the card design with personalized elements will make it difficult to alter the card if stolen.
  • Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) capability will allow Customs and Border Protection officers at ports of entry to read the card from a distance and compare it immediately to file data.

In keeping with the Permanent Resident Card’s nickname, it will now be colored green for easy recognition.


Deportation for Tax Fraud

Filing a false tax return in violation of Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 7206 can result in deportation of a resident alien, i.e. a green card holder, according to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Kawashima v. Holder (9th Cir. 2010). In a long running case Mr. Kawashima pled guilty to subscribing to a false tax return in violation of IRC Section 7206(1). His wife pled guilty to aiding and assisting in the filing of a false tax return in violation of IRC Section 7206(2).

Generally green card holders can be deported for committing an “aggravated felony.” Tax fraud in violation of IRC section 7201 is specifically defined by the immigration laws as an aggravated felony. Aggravated felonies also include any offence that involves fraud or deceit which exceed a loss to the victim of more than $10,000. The Kawashimas argued that since filing a false return (tax fraud) was specifically defined as an aggravated felony Congress meant to exclude all other tax crimes including filing a false tax return. The 9th Circuit disagreed, holding that under the plain language of the statute not only was tax evasion a removable offense, but so was filing a false tax return.

This is just another reminder that tax convictions can send you back where you came from…

error: Content is protected !!